Thursday, October 18, 2012

Give Your Heart to Jesus

Saw this on a church sign today. On a whim, I searched the phrase, "give your heart," on Blue Letter Bible's search engine, on every translation of the Bible that they have available (8 or 10 or so).

Nothing there. Hmmm. 3 searches did bring up a partial result-Ezekiel 36:26. The heart offered in this verse is not the one given up to God by the repentant believer. No.

Oddly, God speaks here of giving a new heart to the sinner so he CAN believe. Not the same thing at all.

I decided to try this from a different angle. Everybody knows the old hymn, "I Have Decided to Follow Jesus." I searched for "decided" and "follow" in the same sentence. A little bit better luck this time.

John 1:43 came up 4 times. You know, where Jesus "decided" to go to Galilee and told Phillip, "'follow' me." Hmm. Still not the same thing.

Bro. Billy will be preaching in Romans this Sunday. Chapter 3, verses 9-20. If you're in the neighborhood, come on by. I think the key verse is probably...there is no one who understands, no one who seeks God. -Romans 3:11

No comments:

Post a Comment