Monday, February 17, 2014

Hot Coffee and the Bible

My soul clings to the dust; give me life according to your word. -Psalm 119:25

Bought a new coffee-maker for $8.97. Brews up to 12 cups in a reasonable amount time to slightly warmer than lukewarm temperature. What did you expect for $8.97?

Still, that first sip in the morning that burns the back of your throat and all the way down to your stomach is lacking in the heat factor. This is a necessary sensation whether or not you believe in caffeine.

So 30 seconds in the microwave and I'm good. I sit in my favorite chair and open my Bible. Reading through it again, I begin in the New Testament, then turn to the Old. This year, I plan to spend the last six months or so in Psalms, with Charles Spurgeon's "Treasury of David."

I like to think there's a correlation here. I liken the warming effect of the coffee with the warming effect of Scripture. Mentally as well as spiritually.

Of course I am reminded of my failures, inspired by the dedication of those whose stories I read and both overawed and encouraged by God's incredible attention to detail.

Also my mind is awakened (did I mention I'm not a morning person?) as I am called by what I read to meditate on its truths, look for its application and am reminded of other passages that echo the doctrines of whatever particular passage I have open before me.

After I left my last job, I began a morning work-out routine that included walking a mile or more a day. If I were to take on a part-time job, that routine would become occasional.

The coffee-drinking and Bible-reading, however, have become ingrained as part of my day-to-day life and would require conscious effort to alter or set aside.

There will be no such effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment