Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Inertia

An object at rest will tend to remain at rest. -Newton's First Law of Motion

...fritter and waste the hours in an offhand way. -Pink Floyd, "Time"


I have been jealous of my time; selfish even.

I believe it has been one of the hardest lessons of my Christian life, to learn to stop what I am doing or whatever I may be desiring to do, to give time and attention to others.

To embrace the doctrine of God's sovereignty in all things was hard at first. But like the Bereans, I saw that if Scripture teaches it, I must believe it.

Ah, but time it seems is much more personal. To give of your time is to give of yourself. It is the hardest gift of all, in my case at any rate, to part with.

I have been blessed beyond measure with this precious resource which I hoarded so jealously in the past. Indeed, I have been given an extension, as it were a multiplication of time.

To neglect to invest my time in others is a great sin. But worse than that is to do nothing, to sit idle, to simply waste the stuff of life.

God alone knows the days ordained for my life.

As for me, what can I do but follow the example of my Savior and say, "I must be about my Father's business."

Pray that it might be so, when you pray for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment