Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Penny For Your Thoughts

"LeFou, you know I've been thinking."
"A dangerous pastime!"
"I know."

Way back in the long ago, a friend shared that she had tried smoking pot but didn't care for the experience, since it made her "think too much."

Upon further reflection (years after the fact), I suppose I could relate to that. Getting high sometimes opened the door to uninvited thoughts.

Paranoia and uninvited thoughts aside, "the life of the mind" is fascinating, something I enjoyed pondering even as a youngster.

My favorite people, people whose company I most enjoy are thoughtful people. In fact I am always surprised when I encounter someone who doesn't enjoy thinking.

I am actually puzzled that anyone would desire to cruise through life without meditating on the nature of things. I don't believe that it is because I am a child of the sixties that I "question everything."

What I am truly unable to comprehend, however, is the Christian who doesn't exhibit much (if any) desire to meditate on the nature of this faith of ours. How could this be, I wonder?

I am well aware of the pitfalls of making judgments about someone else's salvation (Romans 14:4 is an apt warning). And I understand  that each of us is gifted in various ways to build up the body of Christ.

However it is a subject of which I never tire of thinking about or talking about: how this infinite Being, this Holy God could look upon this creature (me) flopping about in the mud and mire of his own sin and have pity. How He could desire me even.

How He could pursue me even though I ran as far and fast as I could to escape Him. And how, having been saved, to meditate on His sheer beauty fills me with joy.

What regenerated heart could not long for that same joy?

So before you say that you don't find the Old Testament all that interesting. Before you say that thinking about how God's sovereign will and human ability to choose could work together is "too confusing to think about." And, please, before you say that you don't need to go to church to be saved.

Before you say any of this (or worse). Think about it.

Think about what it means to love your God "with all your mind."

And having meditated on the beauty that is God, you will no doubt feel the need to talk about it.

Let's talk.


And these words that I command you today shall be on your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise. -Deuteronomy 6:6-7


No comments:

Post a Comment