Thursday, May 7, 2015

This Perfect Love

Jesus loves me, this I know.... -Anna B. Warner


May be that this is the first hymn most of us learned to sing.

What a great and blessed first lesson in song to have learned. In its first six words, it sums up all the comfort and assurance of the Christian's faith.

And the melody, played one note at a time, upon the keys of the piano is so simple, yet so memorable. To hear it played, in an unexpected place, perhaps a lifetime after we first heard it, is to be moved to tears at its beauty. And to weep, yet be comforted, as we recall the words and reflect on the simple truth contained in them.

This love. Undeserved. Unearned. But palpable in its reality. It is a mystery, really.

It occurs to me that all the love I ever experienced in this life flows from this love. All the blessings of friendship and marriage, companionship and kinship find their source in this perfect, transcendent love.

Perfect.

When he calls to me, I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble. I will rescue him and honor him. With long life I will satisfy him and show him my salvation. -Psalm 91:15-16

No comments:

Post a Comment