Sunday, February 14, 2016

Like Arrows Piercing Valentine's Heart

Behold, you are beautiful, my love; behold, you are beautiful; your eyes are doves. -Song of Songs 1:15


The deep longing of true love is a palpable ache for the beloved, which does not fade with time nor diminish with distance.

Even death cannot break these cords of love, this love which plays upon the strings of memory a melody that daily grows more poignant, more beautiful.

To think that the love with which I have been loved, the love with which I have loved is but a very dim reflection!

I have read the Song of Solomon each Valentine's Day for as long as I can remember.

This scriptural depiction of romantic love speaks to my heart and exposes my deepest emotions.

But I know it points to something deeper, it and all the related passages speaking of the Bridegroom's love for His beloved.

Because I have been loved by someone who desired my good with all her heart and soul, I can begin to understand the eternal, supernatural and all-sacrificing love of my Savior, the depth of which I can barely begin to grasp.

But God has revealed Himself in His Word and so I have the promise of a love of which, as blessed as I have been, I have only had a foretaste.

And though our hearts must be broken over our sin and failure, they are at the same time healed with joy and gratitude.

I am my beloved's and my beloved is mine.








No comments:

Post a Comment