Thursday, May 31, 2018

How Not To Climb A Tree

...and all the trees of the field shall clap their hands.

There was this elm tree at the corner of our yard next to the driveway.

A double elm tree really, forking from the base to form two separate trees.

There was one particularly low-hanging  branch, accessible if you stood in the fork, which allowed an adventurous youngster to climb up into what seemed a green and leafy wonderland.

You could see the longest way from its uppermost branches (which I admit I had to work up my nerve to scale), and from the very tip-top you could feel the tree swaying in the wind. Very scary but also very cool.

My Lil Sis thought this looked cool as well but, being six years younger than I, was unable to reach that first branch.

So one day, after questioning her closely and being assured of her resolve to conquer at least the lower reaches of our vegetative jungle gym, I gave her a boost to the lowest branch.

There was another large branch, maybe four or five feet above the grass of our yard, which made a comfortable perch, where one could dangle one's legs and ride what ever breeze happened to be blowing.

This was the place where Deb (not desiring to climb any higher) decided to park herself while I stood on the ground offering words of encouragement (or dares to climb higher, which I suppose is the story she would tell, though I am sure that story is mere delusion).

What happened next is not certain except the end result.

I imagine that a gust of wind came along and she perhaps lost her nerve and certainly her balance and, like Humpty Dumpty (or the walls of Jericho), came a-tumbling down.

Lying flat on her back, Deb seemed unhurt but out of wind so I proceeded (by pulling up on her middle section) to pump air back into her.

In repayment for which kind act she used her first full breath to squall out loudly (as though she were dying, which she was not), which brought Mom rushing from the house.

By this time, Deb was sitting up, still bawling, and sobbed out to our mother that I had pushed(?!?!) her from the tree.

I responded indignantly (as the victims of false accusation will do) and the earnestness of my protestations being apparent, nothing further ensued.

Other that a stern admonition to Lil Sis not to be climbing any more trees and to myself not to aid, encourage, abet or in any other way incite or induce her in the climbing of any more trees.

Looking back, I hold no hateful grudge against her for her treacherous accusations but view it as only the hysterical reaction of a small child to a frightening experience.

Besides the which, I guess it made up for all the stuff I did do, for which she never ratted me out.

No comments:

Post a Comment