Wednesday, December 5, 2018

Fall On Your Knees

O holy night, the stars are brightly shining....

I have told you before what a great singing voice my late brother-in-law had. One of the blessings of my life is the memory of singing with him and Deb, "I Should Have Been Crucified," in church one Sunday.

Another blessing was granted me, however, in the days before I came to know Christ as Savior.

It seems the choir at LBC was staging a cantata and one of the highlights would be a solo rendition of "O Holy Night."

Paul had been chosen to sing this part and was understandably nervous about having to sing this challenging piece alone.

Let me interrupt the narrative by stating that even as an infidel, I occasionally visited the church where I was raised. On Mother's Day, for the most part.

"I go to church once a year, whether I need to or not," was my irreligious comment upon this habit.

So Paul came to me and asked if I would sing "O Holy Night" with him in the cantata.

I agreed because it is my most favorite Christmas song ever, and because my brother-in-law asked me and because, though he had a wonderful voice, I understood his anxiety (as I have said) about having to sing this hymn alone.

And so we did, and so it was a beautiful experience.

I have told you all this, not because it is just a beautiful reminisce of the Christmas season, but because it continually astounds me; the goodness and mercy that have indeed followed me all the days of my life.

Truly I love Him because He first loved me.

No comments:

Post a Comment