Tuesday, March 1, 2011

On My Worst Behavior

Behavioral patterns. Everybody's got 'em.

It is endlessly fascinating to observe them in others. And to speculate on their origins.

Heredity?

Birth order?

State of relationship with parents?

Of parents' relationship with each other?

Psychoanalyze your friends and neighbors for fun (if not profit).

Uhhh, btw, don't tell them you're doing this.

"Are you strong enough to point that high-powered perception at
yourself?"  -Clarice Starling to Hannibal Lecter

"I turned my eyes to the inside to see where my energy had gone."
- Lord Have Mercy  by Black Oak Arkansas

Look at Yourself  -Uriah Heep

Hmmm. Yes.

Don't even mention "fun," and give me another word besides "fascinating."

One thing. Behavioral patterns (especially the bad ones) are self-perpetuating and automatically activated.

How do you react to irritation or annoyance?

Not very Christian, you know, to snap at someone or bite somebody's head off (literally OR figuratively).

So how about just poking fun at them (here, let me deflate that ego for ya)? Harmless stuff, right?

Thing is, when you consider it by its real name: "ridicule", it sounds mean; even hateful.

Other thing is when you unthinkingly but automatically turn it against someone you really like and respect.

I owe someone an apology.

To the rest of you, whom I may have unknowingly offended, please forgive me.

Oh, and when you see me, feel free to poke fun at me.

1 comment: