Wednesday, December 28, 2011

A Meditation on God's Mysterious Ways, You Can Skip This Part if You Like

How precious to me are your thoughts, O God....(Psalm 139:17a)

Something I have observed: God gave us the ability to reason and then we make a god out of our ability to reason.

This is either: (a) a true statement or (b) me, projecting. You can choose.

Why doesn't God save everybody? Is that THE question? Is it a valid question? Is it a question I should even be asking? I know that God works through secondary means (He certainly did in my salvation, didn't He in yours?). Thus I know that my (feeble) prayers and my witness (however pitiful) must count for something.

So should I pry into these things? Is the answer different for you than it is for me? At what point does inquiring into God's methods become a questioning of God?

You may accuse me of mindless faith, if you like. I find these things in God's Word:

The secret things belong to the LORD our God, but the things that are revealed belong to us and our children forever, that we may do all the words of this law (Deuteronomy 29:29).

For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, declares the LORD (Isaiah 5:8).

Oh, the depths of the riches and wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable his judgements and his paths beyond tracing out! (Romans 11:33)

There is comfort for me in these words. And warning as well, though I will apply that to my own heart and leave others to proceed as they are led of the the Spirit.

Like the psalmist, I meditate on the preciousness of God's thoughts and conclude, as he does:

...How vast is the sum of them (Psalm 139:17b)!

No comments:

Post a Comment