Monday, May 14, 2012

To Keep from Crying

Do you know anybody who doesn't laugh?

Even if you try really hard to make them laugh?

Can it be that the Father of all blessings has not blessed some of His children with a sense of the ridiculous?

You've heard the saying, "It's better to laugh than to cry." What about those who are unable to see how preposterous life sometimes is?

There's this man I know. A good guy. A sincere person. In fact, if I were to think of a word to describe him, it would be "earnest." Not the guy who made all those stupid movies, either.

See what I mean? It's the ability to make that leap. It's automatic, I think, in most of us to connect one meaning of a word with another sillier meaning.  It's like how you sometimes step outside a non-funny situation to see the absurdity of the whole thing. And you crack a joke. And you laugh.

This guy I know. He doesn't laugh. Actually, he sometimes looks slightly pained. Most of the time, being a really good guy, he simply pauses for a moment, waiting politely, while I get hold of myself.

You know what's really strange? His mom is so droll. She'll say something totally off the wall, then watch you crack up before she breaks into this little smile. I love this lady!

Hey, I can be serious too. No really. I'm not kidding.

Here's a question: can there be joy without laughter? I think maybe so, but I'm not sure how.

What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment