Wednesday, April 25, 2012

A Prayer For the Dead

What's this? No such thing, I hear you say. Surely Jesus teaches us in Luke 16:19-31 that there is no redemption after death.

Which is true. But hear me out.

The psalmist in the 88th Psalm feels so estranged from God that he likens himself to one already dead. The Psalm ends with no ray of hope as most of the lament psalms do.

The final line? "...darkness is my closest friend." And that brings me to the point of tears. But not for the psalmist.

We were born dead. In at least three places (Ephesians 2:1; 2:5; Colossians 2:13), Paul teaches us this. He also speaks of quickening to those of us who have received Christ.

So I weep for those of my loved ones who are still at enmity with God; who want no part of his worship, or fellowship with his saints, or any comfort from his holy word.

Yes they still walk around above ground, breathing God's good air and enjoying the blessings of life on this earth. But their hearts are dead (Ezekiel 11:19; 36:26).

May God have mercy on them and quicken their hearts of stone.

I pray for the dead.





No comments:

Post a Comment