Saturday, July 21, 2012

Like I Say

Re-reading Camille Kendall's "Messed Up" post from a couple of weeks ago. You know, the one about young believers being disillusioned as they look around them and see fellow-Christians living a lackadaisical, seemingly uncommitted life.

http://hurricane-camille.blogspot.com/2012/07/messed-up.html

Automatically, I wonder: "Is it me?" We all have our days, right? But to be the cause of discouragement in one of Christ's young ones. I do not want to be in that place.

This feeling was intensified as I have struggled with how to witness to my older grandchildren. I see these young people just beginning their lives and, God love 'em, they seem prone to tread the same paths I trod and make the same stupid mistakes I made. Result: misery all around.

I know they would respond with a respectful "Yessir" to any well-meaning advice I might give, but how could I blame them if they responded mentally with a "Yeah, right" ?

I'm blessed with four daughters who have forgiven my shortcomings as a father. But how would they feel to see this old fool trying to meddle in their kids' lives?

I think I know how David must have felt. He had sinned so badly, he must have hardly felt qualified to offer discipline and guidance to his rowdy bunch of sons. So he stood back and did nothing.

Don't want to be there either.

So here's what I think. Young people, hear me. Young Christian brothers and sisters; grandchildren striking out on your own. Do as I say, not as I have done. I have made many mistakes, but I have learned from them. I have been where you are. Let my hard-earned experience be of benefit to you.

There are people around you who HAVE gotten it right. Latch on to these folks. If they offer to be your friend, let them. If they offer to be your mentor, let them.

If God blesses you by placing someone like this in your life, embrace that blessing. You might not think so, but you will be a blessing to that person(s). It's one of the many ways He works all things to our good and His glory.

Oh, and don't forget to thank Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment