Friday, December 28, 2012

After This, the Judgement

R. C. Sproul addresses evil and human suffering in his book, "Reason to Believe." He says an interesting thing: "You can pray for whatever you want but don't ask God for justice or you might receive it."

Ouch.

We have seen evil committed upon a member of our family this week. A hateful, spiteful, vindictive person has pursued a good man to his grave.

I know Jesus said "there is none good but one." But you understand that I am speaking of a loving father and husband whose job called on him to stand between his community and harm.

Now apparently there are those who would pursue him, via the internet, beyond the grave. Like I said, evil.

My word to all these people: this man is in God's hands now. God is his Judge. Before you take sadistic pleasure in that thought, remember this: God is your judge too. We will all face Him (Hebrews 9:27).

So I pray. For God's mercy for my niece and her children.

For those of whom I've already spoken?

Here is my dilemma: how can I, who deserves justice but received mercy, call out for God's justice upon the evildoers amongst us? Am I not commanded instead to "pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you?"

Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do.

No comments:

Post a Comment