Wednesday, December 5, 2012

It's American to Make Fun of Those Less Fortunate Than Yourself

We all poke fun. Right?

Now I realize that this can degenerate into an exercise in pure-dee hatefulness. For that reason, I try to limit my fun poking to members of my family. It's tradition. You make fun and are made fun of. Suck it up.

The less fortunate part? Well they do have to put up with me, so 'nuff said, awright?

Talking with a friend the other day and it came out that he did not express himself as much as he might like around his immediate family. I don't know, I got the feeling he thought they were too delicate or something.

Anyhow, he was feeling bummed about it. And listening to him, I was feeling like.... Do you remember that scene from The Godfather (both book and movie) where singer Johnny Fontaine is complaining to Don Corleone about how his slutty movie star wife just dogs him around all the time?

No matter if you don't. We guys have all heard our friends complain about how their wives oppress them (that's right, ladies, I said it!), taking advantage of being female and being all emo and stuff.

So at some point in this whinefest, the Godfather just has had enough and he grabs Johnny by the hair of the head and gives him a good firm shake. And shouts, "BE A MAN!"

That's how I felt.

Be mean to your wife and kids? I didn't say that.

I find that it is much easier and sometimes less painful to express what you feel through humor which is the whole point (can you believe I finally got there?!?) to this diatribe.

Ask Ein and she can tell you that when she was living here and started to have a meltdown, I would make fun of her till she would become ashamed of her sissifiedness and begin to laugh.

Mean, huh? Not really. I would hug her and use my "which way did he go George" voice: "Why are you sad, George, don't cry George or your eyelashes will shrink George."

The deal is that life is tough and there are people who are going to really be mean to you. So get those feelings off your sleeve. Sounds awful, I know, but sometimes "Get over yourself" can actually be  good advice.

Not all that Christian a way to behave, you might say. Seems as though I recall Jesus being pretty rough on the Pharisees (Matthew 22:29; John 8: 42-47) and sometimes even His own disciples (Mark 8:33; Matthew 14:31).

Otis Redding said, "Try a Little Tenderness."

But isn't there a time for plain speaking as well?

After all, guys got feelings too.

No, seriously.

No comments:

Post a Comment