Monday, January 14, 2013

This is Just a Test

Thou shalt not put the Lord thy God to the test. -Deuteronomy 6:16

Who hasn't experienced God's providing? Exceeding and abundant providing. We praise God and look scornfully at the Children of Israel as they turn up their noses at manna and cry out for meat.

Bugs Bunny said it best: What a bunch of Nimrods! What a bunch of macaroons!

Ah, but the devil is more subtle than all the beasts of the field. Just when I think I have his playbook learned and my defense set, he unveils a new wrinkle.

God does have all things in His hand. He is able to provide from a rich and varied storehouse of abundance.

Does this mean we are to test God by asking for another means of His providing when His gracious providence already gives all that we need?

I thought it was a test of my spirituality to be still and await God's marvelous (if not miraculous) deliverance. Trouble is, a perfectly suitable fulfillment of my need was already at hand. Placed there lovingly by my Heavenly Father. All I had to do was pick up the phone.

Turns out it was a test. Of my spiritual discernment.

What a maroon!!

No comments:

Post a Comment