Thursday, February 7, 2013

Regrets, I've Had a Few

...but then again, too few to mention. -Frank Sinatra by way of Paul Anka

Nothing like the birth of a grandchild (or great-grandchild!) to cause you to reflect upon your life.

Odd, isn't it, how we tend to focus on the negative? Or maybe that's just me.

But I don't think that's it. Isn't it natural to look back and think of things we would change if we could?

Question: what one thing would you do differently if you were able to go back in time and live one day all over again?

God is good. I have lived a blessed life in spite of my many foolishnesses (I use "fool" in its Biblical sense) and He drew me to Himself in my middle age and enabled me to serve Him with however many days it pleases Him to give me.

But one serious regret remains: I ignored the Biblical admonition to raise my children in the LORD.

Of course, God works in the hearts of those He has chosen and accomplishes His will, in spite of their individual circumstances.

Rather I feel the weight of Jacob Marley's lament: I did not realize that "no space of regret can make amends for one life's opportunity misused."

I thank God that He is not only the Sovereign Lord who rules over all His creation, but that, in His wisdom, He sometimes over rules His creatures. And in His mercy He hears our prayers.

Welcome to the world, Rylee. My prayer for you is that God will write His name upon your heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment