Thursday, March 21, 2013

In the Spirit and In Truth

For day after day they seek me out; they seem eager to know my ways, as if they were a nation that does what is right and has not forsaken the commands of its God. -Isaiah 58:2


What is "in spirit and in truth?" What does that kind of worship look like? I know what it does not look like.

Tell me if it's just me but have you ever experienced a lack of focus in the midst of worship? An inability to concentrate on the purpose for worship. It's more a spiritual distraction than mental or otherwise, I think.

Each aspect of our worship requires a thoughtful, meditative, prayerful approach. I know this. Yet I find unwelcome thoughts intruding. Or worse yet, my mind simply wanders.

Have we lost our concept of God's power and holiness? Is it because the Old Testament judgements against false worship no longer seem to be in efect?

Is the reason for that notion because our God is so slow to anger that we take His mercy for granted?

This is what we see among the congregation of ancient Israel. God's prophets threaten judgement and call His people back to true worship. Yet we see that decades and even centuries pass by and they say, "It can't happen here. Our God is a God of love and mercy."

But the biblical record is clear. It did happen there. God judged His people Israel with a terrible judgement.

That's what scares me.

No comments:

Post a Comment