Friday, April 5, 2013

I've Got the Joy, Joy, Joy, Joy

"Is your Dad always that jolly?" An acquaintance asked my youngest daughter this question. Hmmm. I never thought of myself as jolly. I don't even own a red suit.

I think my favorite part of the "Beverly Hillbillies" involved Granny singing the above mentioned song. Then Mrs. Drysdale would come along and steal that joy.

The thing is; we confuse happiness with joy. Happy is an emotion. Joy is a state of mind that can only be made permanent by the Holy Spirit. It's not something you can will your mind to, not for any length of time. It's a fruit. Can a tree will itself to be fruitful?

In the Bible, happy is usually a translation of the Hebrew word for blessed. Blessed is a good word. It puts us in mind of the Source of true happiness. It reminds us that we have nothing which we did not receive.

So the Lord has blessed me and made me joyful. Now if He would only see fit to bless me with patience, kindness and goodness in  equal proportion.

No comments:

Post a Comment