Monday, June 30, 2014

Preservation of the Saints

...should not a people inquire of their God? Should they inquire of the dead on behalf of the living? -Isaiah 8:19b


You know I think I may be brain-damaged.

How else could I be sitting at breakfast reading "Blackburn Strawberry Preserves" on the jar in front of me and be reminded of the Irish exclamation, "Saints preserve us!"?

They really can't, you know. Preserve us, I mean. Besides, we are the saints (Deuteronomy 33:2-3 for starters), those called out, set aside, and sanctified for their God.

Only God can preserve those whom He has called (John 10:28-29; follow the references from there).

Preservation of the saints is the "P" in the TULIP acrostic, presenting the Five Points of Calvinism.

"Perseverance" is also used in the acrostic. Hmmm. Looks like a job for the saints! God preserves by power of his indwelling Spirit. We persist by that same powerful Spirit which seals us unto redemption.

So, Blackburn jellies and Irish exclamations aside, God preserve us.

BTW, I here link to an essay on the Five Points by R.L. Dabney, my favorite Confederate theologian:

http://www.spurgeon.org/~phil/dabney/5points.htm

His crystal-clear explanation of Irresistible Grace (effectual calling) removed the last of my doubts about Reformed doctrines. I recommend it. Right thinking leads to right practice. How else can we obey God if we don't understand what He has revealed Himself to be? 

No comments:

Post a Comment