Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Absinthe Makes the Heart Grow Fonder

I'm not angry, I'm just sayin'...sometimes goodbye is a second chance.- Shinedown


You have noticed, I am sure, that songwriters tend to work out personal issues through their craft. Not always, mind you, but often enough.

In the above-quoted example, the notion is put forth that sometimes the best way to love someone and get along with them is to be apart from them.

I can see the truth in that, can't you? Barring a deep-seated bitterness, we usually remember the good when we recall the past. I think fondly of friends and family who are separated by many years and many miles.

After all, it would be churlish of me to recall the minor slights and annoyances I suffered at their hands, would it not?

I have been blessed with forgetfulness of the occasional wounds that must come when we interact with our fellow fallen humans.

It may just be a product of old age that this is so. Or perhaps all the drugs I did way back in the sixties.

At any rate, I thank God for a short memory. It alleviates a lot of pain, I think.

I would be especially fearful, I were Buddhist, say, of the sin of scorekeeping.

One might come back in the next life as an elephant.

Sounds like a drag.


No comments:

Post a Comment