Thursday, January 29, 2015

Something For Nothing

What do you have that you did not receive? -1 Corinthians 4:7b 

In one of my favorite movies, there is a line which goes, "Quid pro quo, Clarisse, quid pro quo,"  whereby the speaker reminds the woman in question that there is a price to be paid for what she is seeking.

One of the themes of this film (and its well-made sequel which I like even more) is the question: how much are you willing to pay to get what you want?

What if I told you it was free?

Yeah right, I hear you saying. We are such cynics, aren't we?

Do you suppose that's the reason we find it hard to claim the love, joy and peace we've already been given?

Is it why, instead of counting our blessings, we list our complaints.

Is this the cause for my being barely able to imagine heaven, I mean its possibility for someone like me, much less what it must look like?

Yet I am assured "the richest of fare" "without money and without price." All the days of this life, I am promised "goodness and mercy."

I read that this is not the result of anything I have done or can do. Even my response to the command, "Come unto me," is because I have been "drawn" to come, given the desire to come.

It really is free.

Already paid for, you see.

Oh it didn't cost me anything, but it cost Someone very dearly.

It cost Him everything.



No comments:

Post a Comment