Wednesday, January 6, 2016

The Verse You 'Grave for Me

I had fainted, unless I had believed to see the goodness of the LORD in the land of the living.-Psalm 27:13


As I read through Isaiah again, this morning I read my favorite chapter in the whole Bible, Isaiah 55.

I have heard of those who say that the Gospel is only presented in the New Testament. I would differ strongly.

The invitation to the banquet, the representation of Christ, the call to repentance, the reassurance of the efficacy of the Word. It's all there.

And then verse 12. My favorite in all Scripture. What a picture! What a promise!

The mountains and hills will truly be alive with the sound of music! The leaves will rustle in heaven's gentle breezes  and the rustling will be the sound of uproarious applause.

Joy and peace, those two most sought-after conditions of the human heart will flood my very soul.

When Brother Billy finally reads these words over me, you may rest assured that I am already experiencing the delight described here.

One thing is missing from this description: the greeting.  Psalm 17:15 speaks of this assurance. Job is confident that (in his resurrected. glorified body) he will behold his living Redeemer standing at the last upon the earth.

To open my eyes amid scenes of pastoral beauty and see my Savior smiling down at me. Is this thought not precious to you?

One other thing.

When I would be gone from home for one or more days and return, always as I pulled into the driveway, I could see the curtain part and my wife's face looking out. Then the door would fly open and she would rush out, almost before the car had stopped rolling, to greet me.

You may wonder how a five foot three inch tall woman could envelope anyone in a bear hug, but I tell you, it is literally true.

It's icing on the cake, I suppose, to know that I will embrace her once more, this beloved sister in Christ. That I shall throw my arm around my daddy's shoulders and kiss his grizzled cheek. I will embrace my mom and kiss her on her forehead.

What a reunion. And to enjoy the fellowship of these and so many more in the presence of my God forever and ever.

Amen.



No comments:

Post a Comment