Tuesday, March 31, 2020

The Strangest Things

By the waters of Babylon, there we sat down and wept.... Psalm 137:1a

Nearly all the churches around here have suspended Sunday worship services.

The session of GPC meets Friday night to discuss whether or not to re-commence Sunday worship.

I don't think it is sound practice to transfer biblical events whole-cloth to our own era and our own situation.

We tend to do it anyway, don't we?

The OT church had the privilege of corporate worship taken from them.

And we know why. It's spelled out for us in the text.

So I wonder: is this us?

And I wonder some more: is this me?

Not just individual me but me as a representative sample of us all.

Have I appreciated the blessing of being able to assemble in freedom with my brothers and sisters to pray and sing and hear the Word taught?

What about those Sundays when my head has drooped and my eyelids have grown heavy?

Or those times when my thoughts have wandered, say to what I might have for lunch?

Or thinking about that nap I'm going to take?

No, I prefer to think that we are undergoing a trial at the moment, a testing of our faith and we will come out stronger on the other side of this.

Scripture tells me to worship the Lord my God with all my heart, all my soul, all my mind.

Search me, O God, and know my heart! Try me and know my thoughts! And see if there be any grievous way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting, -Psalm 139:23-24

No comments:

Post a Comment