Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Forbearance

Good frend, for Jesu's sake forbeare
To digg the dust encloased here;
Blest be the man that spares these stones
And curst be he that moves my bones.

Engaging in discussion with friends in the family of Christ
can be tricky business.

With so many denominational backgrounds, levels of personal
understanding and levels of desire to seek out the deep things
of God, it can be easy to offend.

Remembering (Lord, help me remember!) to "love the brethren" (and the sistern!),
I move cautiously, desiring conversation.

Forgive me if I've offended you (you know who you are). I tend to be "enthusiastic"
at times.

But this is truly great stuff we're dealing with here. Yes?

What all this has to do with Shakespeare's epitaph (other than that I think Olde English spelling is really cool), I cannot say. I'm like Jules trying to explain the pulp-fictional Ezekiel 35:17

Or better, like Christians trying to decide
among themselves what Paul is really saying in Romans 9.

Hmmmm.

1 John 3:14 first.

No comments:

Post a Comment