Thursday, June 20, 2013

Wherever You Go, There You Are

There's got to be some kind of way out of here.... -Bob Dylan

I think the thought expressed by the words, "gotta get away (or the equivalent)," may be the most common in all of popular music.

And therefore in our lives.

You've felt it, the notion that all you need to make things better is a change of scenery. 

I guess that's true, sometimes.

But wouldn't you agree that most of the time, our physical surroundings have little or nothing to do with the issue?

Is it possible to escape the life of the mind, our thought life?

From our minds come temptations (James 1:14) and doubts (Matthew 14:30-31).

The thought life is the place where the evil one attacks us (Ephesians 6:16).

Maybe it would help if we thought of the mind as a stage where the scenery is constantly being changed.


God is the playwright of my life.

Sometimes, Satan comes in like an insane set director and tries to scramble the scenery so that nothing makes sense. Should I throw up my hands and run away?

So my question is this: when you wish for a change  in your physical location, mightn't you be better served in crying out (as Peter did), "Lord save me?"

Perhaps, instead of leaning on my own understanding (of how things appear to be), I should consult the script.

Don't you see no matter what you do, you'll never run away from you. -Paul Revere and the Raiders

No comments:

Post a Comment