Thursday, August 1, 2013

I Was Adopted

And when I passed by you and saw you wallowing in your blood, I said to you in your blood, "Live!" I said to you in your blood, "Live!" -Ezekiel 16:6

It is common practice for older brothers and sisters, when tormenting their younger siblings, to tell them, "You were adopted."

When Brother Billy preached his third sermon on the text Romans 8:7-12, I was astonished to hear him tell of how he was criticized at his former pastorate by those who objected to his teaching of  adoption, God's choosing of His children.

I came to the world in the usual way (thanks, Harry Chapin). My parents didn't choose me in particular. Oh, they wanted a baby alright. And hopefully a baby boy. I had to grow up and leave home to completely understand how much they loved me.

But for my friends who were adopted, it is a constant source of awe to them that they were particularly chosen. Sometimes out of a roomful of babies.

Why would it upset someone to hear that God picked them, out of all the people in the world, He chose that one especially. Wouldn't you want that to be you?

What about the ones He didn't choose? Did you ever think that God, like my friends' adoptive parents, didn't have to choose anyone? I'm pretty sure that God did not need me to become a complete being.

I like what Sproul says about this: God is the only Being in existence. The rest of us are becomings.

So thanks, God. I'm glad you chose me. I'm not at all offended by the thought. In fact, if You don't mind, I know a few people I wish You'd consider for adoption.

No comments:

Post a Comment