Monday, August 19, 2013

You Get What You Need

You can't always get what you want. -Mick Jagger, Keith Richards

"You need a haircut."

How many times did I hear these words as a young hippie in Arkansas in the 60's?  I can only guess if I had a dollar every time I heard them, I would be writing this on a 24k gold-plated laptop.

My reply?

Ever the wordsmith (and the smart-aleck), I would point out that "to need" something indicated that it was required for one's continued existence. Haircuts did not (and do not) fit that definition.

Samson certainly never needed a haircut. In fact, haircuts were quite harmful to him. I couldn't take that chance could I?

I should have been kinder to my critics. For over fifty years I myself confused the meaning of "desire" with "need."

I won't give the devil any glory by going down that list. It is enough to say that Jesus introduced Himself to me and suddenly all my needs were met.

Is that to imply that I've never desired anything but Christ since I met him? We know better than that, right?

I am learning, bit-by-bit, to rely on Him only. Even the basics, like air to breathe, food and drink to sustain this body are provided by the One who made all that. How much more does He satisfy the longings of a heart He has re-made?

I've got to remember that.

What heights of love, what depths of peace,
When fears are stilled and strivings cease!

No comments:

Post a Comment