Tuesday, September 24, 2013

What Are You Doing?

No wonder, then, that we constantly misconceive and misjudge what God is and is not doing in us, and for us.... "Rediscovering Holiness," J.I. Packer


"Constantly," the man says. Is that a fair and accurate description? Since he includes himself in the "we," I suppose that this was his observation from his long years as a minister.

I can only speak for myself. Sadly, I admit that I seem always to misconstrue God's purposes in the events of my life.

True, there are biblical truths that He has given us. Stating, for instance, that we should struggle against sin and seek God's holiness. That we should witness to the lost, minister to the sick, and help the needy. We hold these truths to be self-evident.

What about my participation in my church's music ministry, given my past inclination (as a performer) to seek my own glory and satisfaction? Elements of that remain in my heart, I confess.

What about a calling to and in the workplace? Is it God's will that I seek out such? In the past, I had thought he was removing me from this area of ministry.

And my desire to see a reformed witness established in my hometown? I don't feel any particular call there. But what if because of my own self-interest (a heartfelt desire to live the rest of my days in NW TN), I am actually ignoring such a call?


Someone once said, "You don't have to go to China to be a missionary." Jesus said, "the fields are white with the harvest," That strikes home, especially to the heart of one raised on a cotton farm!

Nebuchadnezzar came to the knowledge, concerning God, that "none can stay His hand or say to him, 'What have you done?'"

Nonetheless, I hope that I do not sin in inquiring of God, "What are you doing?" Like Job, I understand the futility and arrogance of questioning the wisdom or love of my heavenly Father.

What I do long for is to be on the same page as His plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment