Friday, September 27, 2013

Take Up and Read

What are you reading?

It always amazes me when I meet someone who doesn't enjoy reading.

For the Christian person, of course, one book is required reading. Even if I am not inclined to sit and open its pages on any given day, I am assured by my Savior that I must feed on "every word that proceedeth from the mouth of God."

Yet it is not knowledge of Jesus' statement that prompts me to take up and read my Bible. The quickening power of the Holy Spirit convicts me of my need for God's Word. He imparts a desire for Scripture and enables me to set aside worldly distractions, if only briefly, to meditate thereon.  

Time is not a hindrance for me as it might be for others. No, my failure is in not attending to the words I read. I fail, many days, to seek meaning from my reading, to hide God's Word in my heart.

Still, I am concerned to meet one who professes faith in the Living Word without any desire whatever for the written Word of God.

Prayer for others does not proceed from the assumption that I am better than they are. Far from it!

But how can one witness to unbelievers who are better acquainted with Scripture and use it as a club against the witness? 

It comes down to two questions (or so I believe):

"Is it possible for the one who professes love for God to not love His Word?"

                                       and

"What are you reading?"



No comments:

Post a Comment