Tuesday, November 5, 2013

In My Father's House

I go to prepare a place for you. -John 14:2b

Wednesday evenings, we have worship services at GPC.

Most churches devote Wednesdays to Bible study. When I attended a church where this was the case, we once studied a popular book on heaven.

The author pointed out that Christians do not think as much about heaven as they ought. That when we do, we have vague notions of harps and clouds.

Though he indulged in some pretty wild speculations himself (tornadoes in heaven?!), I am still grateful that the book prompted me to meditate more often on this promised land, this house of many mansions (I prefer the KJV here).

The word "heaven" occurs some 500 times in the Bible (according to which translation you use). It's mostly in the New Testament that the word refers to the final destination of God's elect ("elect" occurs 17 times in the KJV; referring both to Israel AND the Church). Revelation contains the most descriptive passages. Not the streets of gold so much, but the worship of God and the Lamb described particularly in chapters 5, 7, 14, 15, 16, and 19.

Mark Twain once noted that Christians, in describing heaven, speak of a place, that in this life, many of them shun and seek excuses to avoid.

I'm afraid he was right, at least to some extent. I have been guilty of contemplating joyful reunions. Of idle speculation as to whether Abraham Lincoln (or some other admired personage) might be there. Of hearing answers to the many "whys" of life.

Forgive me, Father, that I have not desired you to the extent that I would meditate on meeting you face-to-face at last.

Let me contemplate heaven as David did: "...in thy presence is fullness of joy; at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore."



No comments:

Post a Comment