Thursday, November 28, 2013

To Be Thankful

Praise the LORD, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits.... -Psalm 103:2a


I have resolved to be thankful.

Odd, isn't it, that a person saved by God's grace alone should need to make such a resolution? I am saved through the merit of Christ alone, chosen by God from before the foundation of the world.

My very faith in Christ, Paul says, is a gift from God. It is dependent upon His mercy that my heart was renewed, not hardened, by the Gospel.

Thanksgiving should flow constantly from my regenerated heart.

 My favorite Old Testament personage is Jonah. Who, in the wake of the greatest revival recorded in Scripture, found something to complain about. That about sums it up, hmm?

I would rather have slept in a little bit instead of awakening at 3:30 a.m. I am thankful though, because cornbread (for the dressing) and pies have to be cooked before the turkey goes in the oven to cook at 250 degrees for six hours.

Though my electric stovetop takes forever (it seems) to bring chocolate pie filling to a boil, I am thankful because one thanksgiving not too long ago, our cookstove gave up the ghost in the midst of our preparations.

Virtually all my family (and Joyce's) lives over 200 miles away. I am thankful because my youngest daughter lives 15 minutes away and so can be part of our holiday celebrations.

The hymn reminds us to count our blessings to see what the Lord has done.

He has forgiven all my sins; redeemed my life from the pit; crowned me with love and compassion; satisfied my desires with good things; removed my transgressions from me as far as the east is removed from the west; promised his love to his covenant people from everlasting to everlasting.

Let me never forget to be thankful. And praise the LORD, O my soul.



No comments:

Post a Comment