Monday, March 17, 2014

Someone You Love

  
Rescue those who are being taken away to death, hold back those who are stumbling to the slaughter. -Proverbs 24:11

Someone you love is bound for hell.

Forgive me if I'm wrong and don't think for a second that I judge anyone in that fashion.

Is it not true, though?

Would that I could have the assurance that each of my dear family and each beloved friend will meet me in heaven.

I strain to see evidence of new life in the hearts of many; a desire for God and a seeking after his kingdom. Formerly I thought that one could have Christ but merely be backslidden or distracted by the bright shiny things of the world.

A glimpse into my own heart dispelled that notion and taught me that fruit cannot be gotten from a dead tree.

Some stand at the wide open door of hell and the furnace-blast from its gaping maw has seared their souls and their consciences.

Others, like the fig tree Jesus cursed, sport beautifully deceptive foliage. I must admit I'm drawn more to search my own heart by the image of the non-bearing fig tree than by the terrors of the flames.

Jesus said that if you judge, you will be judged with the same judgment you pass on another. He also said that we may judge a tree by the fruit that it bears.

A contradiction? Surely we must recognize that judging to pass sentence and judging to discern a need are two entirely separate and different things.

One belongs to God alone.

The other we are commanded to do.

For if we see the need, we must begin to pray. To pray without ceasing, without fainting, to pray continually, to pray with a heart that is breaking.

For someone we love.

Everything depends on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment