Monday, July 7, 2014

God Alone

For from him and through him and to him are all things. To him be glory forever. Amen. -Romans 11:36


In this simple doxological statement, Paul sums up everything we need to know about God and his salvation.

What Christian denies that all things are from the God of creation? Do I need to cite proof texts when I say that the world and all that is in it came into being from the word of his mouth?

In Acts 17, Paul tells the Athenians (and reminds us) that in God all things have their very being. What would happen if he should remove his hand for but a moment?

Does not the God who created life in the first place re-create life as well? We were dead in our trespasses, right? Dead as in "without life." We are "new creations," isn't it so?  

Does not "all things" include our own salvation? We are commanded to repent and believe. Would my deceitful and desperately wicked heart be capable of repentance and belief? Would I, who was at enmity with God, be capable of desiring him?

Or must God first replace this stony heart with one of flesh and write his name upon it? Must he draw me to himself before I can begin to come to him? Must he hold me in his hand so that nothing or no-one (including me) can snatch me from him?

Oh, the depth of the riches and wisdom and knowledge of God!

Amen.



No comments:

Post a Comment