Wednesday, July 23, 2014

If I Were You

 ...if I ran this place; there wouldn't be no mercy, there wouldn't be no grace. -Wayne Watson

Oh that you would slay the wicked, O God! -Psalm 139:19a


A cessation of wickedness. No more murders, wars, abuse or persecution. None of the effects of the Fall.

What would that look like?

Actually, you can read a description of all this and more in Revelation 21 and the first six verses of chapter 22.

It's about Jesus coming back to judge the wicked and re-create creation.

A new heaven and a new earth.

What a thing to look forward to, right? I'll admit that I look around sometimes and see what goes on and have a hard time remembering that I'm supposed to have compassion for the lost, to pray for those who spitefully use me or who simply just don't get it or desire to have it.

But you know there's a Holy Spirit who dwells within me and He is pretty much constantly at work, pointing out my failings and reminding me that the only thing separating me from all the awful folks I'd just love to smack upside the head is grace.

Because God is gracious, I am made able to pray for the less-than-lovely. I am reminded of who I am and Whose I am. I am brought up short when my tendency is to judge and reminded that there is a Judge. One day He will judge with perfect righteousness and even those on whom His judgment falls will acknowledge His perfect and holy justice.

Until then, I ain't Him. I'm me, redeemed by the blood of the Lamb and I've been commanded to watch and pray.

No comments:

Post a Comment