Friday, October 11, 2013

Come and Die

I appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship. -Romans 12:1

I once heard a preacher say that instead of "Standing on the Promises," we Christians are many times found "sitting on the premises!"

In other words, our faith is not a "Get Out of Hell Free" card. Paul states this in a positive manner in Romans 12:1.

When I was saved, I joined the church where I attended. The pastor asked me several questions in which I promised faithfulness in all aspects of the faith and ended by instructing me to "make God a good hand."

A worthy sentiment, but as Jesus reminds us in Luke 17:1, we should not get cocky but regard ourselves as unworthy servants.

All of which is to say this: I owe Jesus; bigtime. To paraphrase several hymns: "drops of grief can ne'er repay the debt of love I owe" and I must "pour contempt on all my pride" as "I surrender all" to my Lord and master.

Dietrich Bonhoeffer stated it as clearly as I've seen outside scripture: "When Christ calls a man, he bids him come and die."

Die daily to my innate laziness, rebelliousness, and self-centeredness. If I can do this, physical death may be the easy part?

No comments:

Post a Comment