Tuesday, October 29, 2013

An Excellent Wife Who Can Find?

She is far more precious than jewels. -Proverbs 31:10

"Count your blessings," goes the old hymn from my childhood, "name them one by one." A remedy for my forgetful heart.

God's written Word describes some of these in great detail. Proverbs 31:10-31 is one of my favorite reminders of how I have been blessed.

"Who can find" such a wife? I wasn't even looking for her. Were you?

What I have desired and what I truly needed have quite often been two different things.

Did I desire a wife with a heart to serve others? Yet I see this heart at work constantly, not only in my own wife but all the beautiful ladies of GPC, as they labor behind the scenes at the 1001 mundane tasks that smooth the way for the more noticeable work of the Kingdom of Christ.

Did I desire a heart of mercy? Yet I have seen her nurturing, praying for and with her sisters in Christ and all the saints. I have felt this mercy in the forgiveness extended to me for my many careless words and deeds.

Did I desire a wife of deep faith and spirituality? The diligence and attendance toward the Word of God I have seen has at times shamed me. What service I have rendered to my Savior would have been more difficult (if not impossible) to accomplish without her loving encouragement and support.

I have been given much and much is required (Luke 12:48). In Ephesians 5:25-33, is a clear and succinct outline of the requirements. "Love" is the key word in this passage and Christ is the model set forth.

I have been blessed much, I will love much.

Charm is deceitful, and beauty is vain, but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised. -Proverbs 31:30












No comments:

Post a Comment