Friday, October 18, 2013

The Woman You Gave Me

She had been born with a face that would let her get her way. He saw that face and he lost all control. -Bob Seger

I love my wife.

The ancient Greeks, perhaps in a corruption of the story of Adam and Eve, viewed woman as a curse from the gods for forbidden knowledge (the theft of fire). Pandora was so enticingly beautiful that, though warned not to accept this gift, men could not resist.

 Solomon, seeking not only wisdom but also madness and folly,  desired more than one wife. And a number of concubines. He ended up with a sour view of the female of the species (Ecclesiastes 7:28).

I'll keep the one I've been given, thanks.

Previously, God gave me over to my wicked desires. Wickedness, I found, brings tears and heartache, not joy.

I love my wife. The beauty of her love for me is unfathomable at times. Unlike the Greeks (except Euripedes) and Adam I cannot  blame my woman for my own depravity.

Truth is, we marrieds tempt each other to sin. The enemy uses us like a club against one another. He seeks to destroy this most precious of human relationships and we have nothing but our own weakness to blame as we believe his lies.

This person does not really care for you or have your good at heart.
This person is selfish and seeks his/her own good only. You have to stand up for yourself and insist on your rights. You deserve better.

Hmmm. If this sounds at all familiar, we have only to turn to the third chapter of Genesis to find the origin of these statements and their originator.

To kill. To steal. To destroy. Doesn't sound like a mission statement I would want to embrace.

How about you?

An excellent wife who can find? She is far more precious than jewels. -Proverbs 31:10






1 comment: